Rigs of Rods 0.38 (commonly abbreviated as RoR 0.38) is the latest version of Rigs of Rods. (as of Q2/2011)
This page will provide all the information you need to know when upgrading your game to this latest version.
0.38.33 is now the first stable considered version of the 0.38 branch.
You can download it under: http://download.rigsofrods.com
Forum discussion page: http://www.rigsofrods.com/threads/76237-0.38.33-first-stable-0.38-release
~ 60 Bugtickets (bug reports) fixed & closed, several additional bugs fixed that never made it to the issuetracker. You can view these and other bugs here: http://redmine.rigsofrods.com
Detailed list of fixes, add ons and changes:
Top reasons to upgrade
- Speed: we optimized the core physics engine (more FPS)
- Loads of new features (new effects and other great stuff, see above)
- Fixed a lot of bugs (less glitchy and your tires don't collapse on you)
- Many popular addons will be made .38-only, requiring an upgrade to use (we're blackmailing you if you hadn't noticed)
Top myths about 0.38
- In fact, as stated above, the engine has been updated and optimized to increase overall performance and FPS.
- It's buggy (Wheels fall apart, etc.)
- Through the last couple weeks the Donators and Mods have been testing one beta after another. Most bugs are gone, but still, nothing can be perfect.
- It's crashing all the time
- Since most bugs are fixed, it is pretty stable as of now.
- Less vehicles are supported
- Actually, More vehicles are supported than later versions, and certain vehicles will only be supported on .38
(To-Do: Make more stuff)
- Was in active development for over 5 months (since 0.37.126 release on December 30, 2010)
- Many bugs were ironed out in 22 open and 8 closed beta tests
- Numerous issues were addressed, look at the official roadmap
- Over 400 source code changes (0.38.126 revision was 1563, 0.38.30 is revision 1977) (see the revisions)
- More SVN statistics here
- Tons of hard work was put in to this
- Q: Should I uninstall .37 first?
- A: No need to do so, as 0.38 uses its own user content directory (Rigs of Rods 0.38). So no content is shared between the versions.
- Q: Will the old ror stay when I download the newest one?
- A: The new installer asks you if you want to uninstall an old version. having 0.37 and 0.38 installed at the same time will work very well, as they use different directories.
- Q: Will this include an updated content pack (like the said Tatra by Lifter&Betzi )?
- A: Maybe. ;)
- Q: With the new version will all cars have the ABS and TCS?
- A: No, you need to add it to the trucks manually.
- Q: How big is the performance boost?
- A: Its faster, gain depends on your system specs
- Q: Will all vehicles be upgraded to .38 only?
- A: Eventually, We hope.
- Q: Is it close to being released soon?
- A: yes, we are fixing up some minor things now (MP chatbox for example), then we can release it
- Q: I will it have an updated content pack?
- A: yes and no: it will have a new map (desert trails) and truck (tatra) and offers you to install the 0.37 contnet pack. A new 0.38 content pack will come out later this year
- Q: So will we be able to upgrade through the RoR configurator?
- A: yes, it will be available through the update service as well :)
- Q: What about all the vehicles we have on .37 that we added, will they be on .38 after we upgrade?
- A: yes, the 0.38 installer does not try to uninstall old versions anymore, BUT the user directory has now the version number at the end "Rigs of Rods" will get "Rigs of Rods 0.38" so you might need to copy your old content from 0.37 over. This way 0.37 and 0.38 can run in parallel on the computer.
- Q: Is there going to be support for X4/X6 processers in 0.38?
- A: no, not in 0.38, maybe later on
- Q:is nodes2 already in there?
- A: no, we want to get 0.38 out asap before we add major new things. We will add it later on
- there is no chatbox in multiplayer right now. We are in a transition to a new chat functionality and had to remove the old. Its on the list of things that we need to patch as soon as possible.
- Content management is going to be rewritten within 0.39, so we didnt fix anything there yet (Cache bugs...)
- The airplane GUI is not click-able anymore (autopilot and power sliders, use CTRL+HOME and CTRL+PAGEUP/PAGEDOWN) we need to replace the old dashboards at some point ...
- Testing: Silver donators and invited members: big thank you!
- Vehicles: All our modders and at-home dev's out there!