Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: races : improvements

tdev

Developer
    Blog Entries

Default races : improvements

so i would like to know your idea about the plans that we have with the racing leaderboards features (this: http://www.rigsofrods.com/races/Races/index, http://www.rigsofrods.com/races/Races/race/31). Whats currently planned:
    • There will be a management interface to create races: you can setup new races with different conditions (specific trucks only for example)
    • There will be a better leaderboard for the races: with awards and stuff
    what else is missing? maybe how many times someone improved their times on a track?
    Maybe we should add personal best times?

opinions please

2. 4 users found this post helpful: Al T., DeGa, dragracer, turbo280
    Crazyboy335

Default Re: races : improvements

Track records? Specified racing lines on the track? Maybe even a major racing server?
    We're in a crisis. The oceans are flooding, and the Earth is spinning.

turbo280
    In a rocket T600 in a dragrace with hotrod and i won :)

i think its going to be a blast with the jet truck on the repo now
    and you (or a group) should make some sort of contest ever mounth the grand prize! 1st gold account upgrade 2nd sliver account upgrade and 3rd bronze account upgrade
    just a idea just sayin
    but over all i think its very good
    ***I Have a coupon for Portal 2. 75% off. IF youre intresed in TRADING PM. Thanks!***

BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyboy335 View Post
    Track records? Specified racing lines on the track? Maybe even a major racing server?
    That's a great idea, you have a racing server with multiple racers on a track at the same time, like in any other racing game, that would be awesome
    -1988 Audi 80 driver/owner-

Photos of my Audi: http://imgur.com/a/lLyaj

turbo280

Quote Originally Posted by OMGWTFBBQ View Post
    That's a great idea, you have a racing server with multiple racers on a track at the same time, like in any other racing game, that would be awesome
    also should change collors if you need to break or speed up
    ***I Have a coupon for Portal 2. 75% off. IF youre intresed in TRADING PM. Thanks!***

Eminox

Quote Originally Posted by tdev View Post
    so i would like to know your idea about the plans that we have with the racing leaderboards features (this: http://www.rigsofrods.com/races/Races/index, http://www.rigsofrods.com/races/Races/race/31). Whats currently planned:
    • There will be a management interface to create races: you can setup new races with different conditions (specific trucks only for example)
    • There will be a better leaderboard for the races: with awards and stuff
    what else is missing? maybe how many times someone improved their times on a track?
    Maybe we should add personal best times?

opinions please
    Sounds like a great idea. What would awards be thoe?

DODGE charger

Umm, I can't really think of anything other than what people have already said. Sorry

WhiteTiger
    friendly moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Eminox View Post
    What would awards be thoe?
    A 2 week study of spelling Lessons.

Core-i5 2500k, EVGA GTX570 SLI, Corsair 16gb 1600, Asus P8P67 Deluxe, Corsair AX850W

10. one user found this post helpful: Al T.
    Eminox

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
    A 2 week study of spelling Lessons.
    Tehe. thats 1 of those words i dont use mutch so get wrong 90% of the time.

325xi

What about a server for drag racing or car racing, where you get in a waiting list when you join. Then, once you go to race, the tree would actually animate, and faulty starts will disqualify you. I wouldn't mind helping making a true track for you, even animating the Tree. Also car racing, like NASCAR, on F1 testrack, where you could race on the oval with a server choosen car. If you don't have that car, upon server loadup, it will download the vehicle for you, right into your packs folder. Any other ideas?
    MSI 780 Lightning || Intel i5 2500k @ 4.6GHz || ASUS P8Z77-V LK || 8GB RAM || Corsair 600T || Corsair H100i

tdev

Developer
    Blog Entries

ok, improved, management interface still missing.

overview: http://www.rigsofrods.com/races/Races/index

example race: http://www.rigsofrods.com/races/Races/race/31
    (notice linked terrain)

sorting also works in race mode: http://www.rigsofrods.com/races/Race...ne-Race-400-LS

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

added personal times, when clicking on a username. If you sort by time you can get a nice overview on how the user performed in this race:
    http://www.rigsofrods.com/races/Race...direction:desc

14. one user found this post helpful: neorej16
    kevinmce

I have an idea for multiplayer.

Could it be possible to have a server that is dedicated to some race/vehicle.

On joining the server each player is given the specified vehicle.

The race's start continually, spawning all the players at the start position in vehicle ready to go. Some sort of count down and off they go.

All timings could be kept as they are now. But also the individual race winner could be recorded. Also some sort of result table after the race.

This would allow us to hold race events.
    Its all mad!

16. one user found this post helpful: Joebus
    askar050

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmce View Post
    I have an idea for multiplayer.

Could it be possible to have a server that is dedicated to some race/vehicle.

On joining the server each player is given the specified vehicle.

The race's start continually, spawning all the players at the start position in vehicle ready to go. Some sort of count down and off they go.

All timings could be kept as they are now. But also the individual race winner could be recorded. Also some sort of result table after the race.

This would allow us to hold race events.
    i agree this would be fun
    loading signature........

Lenni

Administrator

Something like special colors for certain parts of the car would be cool,
    car creators should have to add that to a certain part of the car first though,
    for example a flag or a line on the side or the whole car if they want to,
    I think of something similar to managedmaterials, the car creator can put a material
    there that will be used as default, it should be something greyscale which can be blended with the player colors by the game then.
    Think before you post!
    Truck_Description_File
    ^ what you need for modding

19. one user found this post helpful: ROR-EMS
    ROR-EMS

I think that's a great idea. It would be easy to identify other players.
    RFB 343 - 9/11/01
    Stay Strong - Newtown, CT - 12/14/12

turbo280

this would be a good idea like get to point A to point B in a specifyed amount of time
    this would be nice for all the people who like to fight fires
    also make some sort of get to point A go to point b then c then b etc till you get to the end like point G then it will say go back to point A this would be nice for people who like to roam arround in buses
    sorry if this is off topic
    hope this is a good idea

Lepes

In my opinion, modded car should be removed from leadboard.

For example, Third position car hash from this race http://www.rigsofrods.com/races/Race...ne-Race-400-LS is not the same that the others. I am not saying that the car is modded to win the race, it could be an outdated car on the repo, although... anyway, it should be disqualified.

well, maybe race manager person (server owner??) could allow "all car type to the race" or just some of them enumerated in a text file. Text file contain repo vehicle hash (for example) to easy compare it with the player hash car.

Now, car name hyperlink, hash hyperlink and .truck filename hyperlink shows a list of races of that car. I think hash hyperlink should link to the repository for example, so people can download the proper car before playing the race.

It would be useful a link to the server, just click and you are joined automatically to the race, wow.
    Dedique el tiempo necesario para formular su pregunta, si pretende que dediquemos el tiempo necesario para responderla.

tdev

Developer
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lenni View Post
    Something like special colors for certain parts of the car would be cool,
    car creators should have to add that to a certain part of the car first though,
    for example a flag or a line on the side or the whole car if they want to,
    I think of something similar to managedmaterials, the car creator can put a material
    there that will be used as default, it should be something greyscale which can be blended with the player colors by the game then.
    actually, this ia already very possible and should work somehow as the material for the player color should be working. I will look into this

Quote Originally Posted by Lepes View Post
    In my opinion, modded car should be removed from leadboard.

For example, Third position car hash from this race http://www.rigsofrods.com/races/Race...ne-Race-400-LS is not the same that the others. I am not saying that the car is modded to win the race, it could be an outdated car on the repo, although... anyway, it should be disqualified.
    the problem is: how to detect the modded cars? atm, the race manager will allow/disallow a certain set of hashes which in fact represent the vehicle

well, maybe race manager person (server owner??) could allow "all car type to the race" or just some of them enumerated in a text file. Text file contain repo vehicle hash (for example) to easy compare it with the player hash car.
    the races are not coupled with multiplayer at all. It does not matter if you complete the race in singleplayer or multiplayer: it will just submit your time, not more not less. The races themself are going to be managed, meaning: someone will restrict the condition what hashes are allowed or not. This thing will have a web user interface which i still have to write

Now, car name hyperlink, hash hyperlink and .truck filename hyperlink shows a list of races of that car. I think hash hyperlink should link to the repository for example, so people can download the proper car before playing the race.
    yes, the problem is that the repo is not ready for this yet, i am working on this

so far, only races with limited trucks will link to the specific allowed truck: (see above table) http://www.rigsofrods.com/races/Races/race/42

It would be useful a link to the server, just click and you are joined automatically to the race, wow.
    since the races will also work in SP, well. We could still do a 'racing' server with the fitting settings and so forth, but there would be no visible benefit.

We should rewrite the time submitting in multiplayer somehow that races are coordinated by the server and that people are playing together instead on their own.

neorej16 wrote a good patch that could lay the basic step stone for this

turbo280

Quote Originally Posted by tdev View Post
    actually, this ia already very possible and should work somehow as the material for the player color should be working. I will look into this

the problem is: how to detect the modded cars? atm, the race manager will allow/disallow a certain set of hashes which in fact represent the vehicle

the races are not coupled with multiplayer at all. It does not matter if you complete the race in singleplayer or multiplayer: it will just submit your time, not more not less. The races themself are going to be managed, meaning: someone will restrict the condition what hashes are allowed or not. This thing will have a web user interface which i still have to write

yes, the problem is that the repo is not ready for this yet, i am working on this

so far, only races with limited trucks will link to the specific allowed truck: (see above table) http://www.rigsofrods.com/races/Races/race/42

since the races will also work in SP, well. We could still do a 'racing' server with the fitting settings and so forth, but there would be no visible benefit.

We should rewrite the time submitting in multiplayer somehow that races are coordinated by the server and that people are playing together instead on their own.

neorej16 wrote a good patch that could lay the basic step stone for this
    but also i do get some server lagg i cant see every one move smoothly
    also you should have in account the FPS and compare it to every one else for a good even chance of winning
    i dont know if the lag is my computer or my internet speed :|

tdev

Developer
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by turbo280 View Post
    but also i do get some server lagg i cant see every one move smoothly
    also you should have in account the FPS and compare it to every one else for a good even chance of winning
    i dont know if the lag is my computer or my internet speed :|
    we planned on doing this already
    if the FPS is below 25, this will not count.