Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new Rigs of Rods?

finalbarrage

Default The new Rigs of Rods?

I hate to make this entirely into a rant, but I guess this is the new Rigs of Rods?
    I'd like your opinions on the matter, and I understand that the developers deserve some compensation for their hard work, and I don't mind donating, but you are really paying for a sort of service in "Donating"

What ever happened to RoR being free? If I were to pay any licence or other fees to play RoR I expect a much more professional product. If you agree post here or if you don't let me know why!

-Updates stopped (Since .37.126?)
    -More advertisements
    -Half working services
    -IRC Gone
    -Special "Donator" access
    -Broken Repository
    -Redmine requires login, probably disabled because I'm not a donator.
    -Creators gladly send traffic to oddball websites, such as the Spanish one for money. Possibly putting user's computers at risk or risking one of us seeing an inappropriate advertisement or something of that nature.
    -Searches usually don't work, because of "The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search:"

ctjacob13

Default Re: The new Rigs of Rods?

Quote Originally Posted by finalbarrage View Post
    Rant...
    Most of what you said is because of the Forum upgrade... The redmine was changed to stop anonymous posters (I think) The only thing you get to do if you donate is see the thread with 4 things on it. And some other little things. You don't have to pay.
    Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p
    Intel Core i74700MQ @ 2.40GHz, 8.0GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT750M GDDR5 2GB, 1TB 5400 RPM HDD

lilgti
    Invited Member
    Blog Entries

So basically what your saying is you'd rather bitc... excuse me, rant, about the "oh so terrible" forums and such rather than do your part to help try and fix it?

The door is open for you to leave. And I'm sure not stopping you.
    Stance isn't a verb.

TampaPowers
    Blog Entries

I find that the new forum is way better than the old one.
    Aside of that, im not sure if you really know how much money can go into such a site and the associated servers, as an example, i pay around 50Bucks monthly just for a server and webspace.

As said before theres no force holding you here. We all are here because we want to, not because anything forces us to be here.

Peace.
    My renders: http://two66.com/render/

Have a nice day!

dieselfuelonly
    Blog Entries

I hate to make this entirely into a rant, but I guess this is the new Rigs of Rods?
    I'd like your opinions on the matter, and I understand that the developers deserve some compensation for their hard work, and I don't mind donating, but you are really paying for a sort of service in "Donating"

What ever happened to RoR being free? If I were to pay any licence or other fees to play RoR I expect a much more professional product. If you agree post here or if you don't let me know why!

-More advertisements
    -Half working services
    -IRC Gone
    -Broken Repository
    -Creators gladly send traffic to oddball websites, such as the Spanish one for money. Possibly putting user's computers at risk or risking one of us seeing an inappropriate advertisement or something of that nature.
    -Searches usually don't work, because of "The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search:"
    Nobody gets paid for anything from the donations. That money doesn't go to developers, it doesn't go to creators, it goes to support the project, to cover server costs, software licenses (vBulletin for example), etc. RoR is still free.

Updates haven't stopped, they've slowed down - the limited number of the "original" developers are busy with a thing called real life right now. Its an open-source project. If you aren't happy with the way development is going, feel FREE to help out. Oh wait, the only thing you are capable of is whining.

Services have been half-working for a long time - there isn't enough manpower to run them all, and the forum switch only made things even more complicated.

IRC is still there and working. Download a real IRC client. Learn how to use it. I was in there yesterday.

Donator access? Who cares? It doesn't give you anything special. The donator boards simply contain content from other creators who want to help support the project. There isn't much content there, because most creators prefer to share their betas, etc., with everyone in the first place, but some prefer to have a place to share their work where whiners don't have access. If you are worried about the access to extra features on the forum causing your e-peen to feel small, then I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do for you there.

The repository, just like the other services, is mostly maintained by one person. Again, feel free to make your own if you feel you can do a better job.

Redmine works just fine. Ever thought of trying your forum username? I was logged into that yesterday as well.

Oddball websites from creators? How is that the fault of the people that maintain RoR and its various services? No one forced you to visit those websites, if you are uncomfortable with it, then by all means just don't click it. Is it really that hard for you?
    Oh noes you saw an advertisement that contained some boobies - are you afraid of them?

Searching works fine as well - the common word feature is there to prevent overload the server and/or to prevent you from getting 50000 results from something that has absolutely no relevance to the topic you are looking for.

Bottom line is you aren't obligated to pay a DIME for Rigs of Rods. Its an open source project provided to you at absolutely ZERO charge. You are in absolutely NO position to sit here and rant away about something that you ARE in a position to do something about.

If you want to donate, donate. If you don't, don't. But if you want to whine, take it somewhere else. Its not needed, wanted, or necessary around here.
    My Blog | My Creations | Help support Rigs of Rods
    Intel i7 970 6-core - 6GB DDR3 Muskin - 2x EVGA GTX460 FTW @ 850Mhz in SLI - Intel DX58SO - Corsair TX750W - Cooler Master HAF 912 - 3x Asus VH222H-P Monitors

sanjeev9

Quote Originally Posted by dieselfuelonly View Post
    Oh wait, the only thing you are capable of is whining.
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselfuelonly View Post
    Oh noes you saw an advertisement that contained some boobies - are you afraid of them?
    Those 2 parts are a WIN! Pwned him nicely for his whining

OfficerAndrew

I feel as this new forum gives Rigs of Rods a new start in development. I actually really like this forum. Once the Repository is up and running and a few other little things are sorted out here and there this forum will be twice as good as the old forum. Really not much else is to be said on here.
    Trying to get back into building things with a new program this summer!

dmtactical

Invited Member

RoR is an active community with a fairly inactive development. So you have lots of people who use RoR a lot but we don't get frequent updates and then it leads to people complaining. I don't know why RoR hasn't attracted any more programmers but I guess that's just how open source stuff goes. Open source games don't get as much development attention because they aren't very critical to productive computing. Most open source software is made more out of necessity than just for fun so games are a lot different. For RoR to have an active development it would need to be a for profit game.
    To make cars you not use the google!ok?

Beolex

Blog Entries

It's optional to donate. It's like real life: if you go to the horrible hotel you will get no service because you payed a little money. But if you go to some grand 5-star hotel in Monte Carlo, they will serve champagne to you as you walk in, because you payed a lot of $$$ to got to that hotel. This is the same case.
    Last edited by Beolex; 12-05-10 at 09:44 AM.
    Vasilis: sweet dreams skid

Cameron8276

While I find it wrong that you are complaining about advertisements, donors, the forum ect I understand why you are frustrated.
    We haven't had an update since aug 30th (over four months) because the developers are very busy with real life issues, it's a small development community that works in there free time when they want to.

The forum and repo are broken, this is frustrating at times but the whole forum and repo are being revamped, a heavy task for a couple of people.

Advertisements are mainly (Not slagging of donators) what keep RoR going money wise, without funding, RoR would have to be abandoned.

Sushi

IRC is still here... Use webchat.quakenet.org
    Then into the #RigsOfRods channel or #RigsOfRodsOfftopic..

dieselfuelonly sums up your complaints, so read it thoroughly.

Kristian
    Administrator

-More advertisements
    -Half working services
    -IRC Gone
    -Broken Repository
    Let me sum up what DFO said. Just so you can see it one more time.

Not a single cent have ever gone into the pocket of anyone. Every tiny piece of money that has ever come to the RoR Project have gone straight to cover the costs. As you probably don't know, it's expensive to keep this running.

Nobody is forcing you to pay a single cent. Use some type of ad-block if you don't like the ads. Don't donate if you don't want to support the project.

Updates stopped getting released due to all the stuff being worked on. And the main dev (tdev) is busy with life, work and school. Whenever he got time, he spends it on something RoR Related.
    Everything is also half working for that same reason, since not everything has been finished after the recent move. And it takes time when mostly one man have to do it all.
    New repository is currently under construction. Due to all the load, a new one was needed since the old one got to weak for all the traffic/actions.

IRC was never taken down. It's still where it always has been. Just less active due to all the people who don't know how to use another client than what was on this site.

Donators only gets what other donators feels like posting in the donators board. I guess you could call it a beta-testers place.

As for RedMine, I don't really know much about it, but it should work. It has NOTHING to do with donators. ONLY difference donators got is that one tiny subboard with 4 threads in it. And that tiny icon next to their name.

Creators have never sent any traffic to any site. There was just a question if you would help support the community by voting on the game!

Search works fine. Stop searching for "hi" or "lol" and it'll work.
    I'm watching you.

theneomaster

Nobody's asking you to donate. And brand new webservices and server moves don't fall off trees. Give it time.

Too impatient? Want the fixed webservices and more game updates NOW?

Simple solution = Don't play RoR.

Posts like this don't make RoR's development speed go any quicker.
    Intel i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz 1.36v | VTX3D HD 7970 3GB | 8GB Mushkin DDR3-1600 | MSi Z68A-GD55 | Corsair Force 3 120GB | CM HAF X

finalbarrage

First off I'd like to clarify that donations are GIFTS in which nothing is expected back. You are paying for access to that board plain and simple, anyways I don't mind donating to Rigs of Rods or that the creators get some sort of compensation for their hard work, that's understandable when someone puts their hard earned time into something I'd love to see it be a success for them and they be able to make a living off of Rigs of Rods one day, but it seems as they've gotten a taste of the money they've went after it more. It originally was just the donations in their truest form, now they get access to boards special privileges with posts such as deleting and they also try to get us to vote for money! Which isn't that bad, if he was sure of website that he was sending the members to, and honestly there isn't a way for him to and I consider Rigs of Rods accountable for any damages that happen to my computer from visiting things like that, and as I know I probably won't end up being compensated for anything that happens it's the fact that they did it that really gets me.

Mainly for DFO > Excuse me for pointing out flaws I have noticed. I don't plan on stopping my use of this program, but apparently as most of you seem to be afraid of giving your opinion here as in the the past where it isn't wanted it is usually looked down upon. In situations where someone was anxious for some new content or something similar the said person usually gets cut down and torn apart by fellow members who don't get anything form it besides a feeling that they are better then the other person? Especially in situations of new members where people who are knowledgeable when it comes to the internet and forums choose to exploit their frustration using it as humor or using it to get rid of them when issues with the forum or something else confuses the new member.

Ex/ dieselfuelonly-s-Blog-about-trolling-the-forum-DAY-2
    3. RAGE POST OF THE DAY!!!11oneone

who banned me and why
    New guy registers an account.

New guy clears cookies after visiting some *ahem* websites he shouldn't be.

New guy sees post about a vehicle he wants and quickly tries to reply "CAN I BETA TEST PLZ? I HAVE EXPERIENCE."

New guy instead gets message about being banned (this happens when you try to reply without being logged in).

And then it gets weird:

New guy LOGS IN (first hint that MAYBE YOU AREN'T BANNED)

New guy MAKES A POST (second hint that MAYBE YOU AREN'T BANNED)

Conclusion: FAIL

dieselfuelonly
    Blog Entries

You still have it ALL wrong.

You seem to think that people are getting compensated for something with the money from donations. Like both me and Kristian have already said, this does not go into anybodies pockets. It goes to support the project - as this forum has grown, it has required more expensive server hardware as well as more expensive software to support the growing community.

Again - donating does not give you access to ANYTHING special. The content in the donators section is merely provided by other members AT THEIR DISCRETION - they don't have to do it, they do it because they WANT to do it. You want to see the content that is in there?

Here, take a look.

See that? That's 4 items, content provided by other donators at their own free will, that you are missing out on. Want it? Donate. Don't? Don't complain.

Though you have been told multiple times, let me say it again. Not one cent of the donations is going into anyone's pockets. It does not go to Thomas or Pricorde, it does not go to moderators, developers, invited members, content creators... it goes to support the project, not for them to go buy a beer with. Is that clear enough for you?

As for the website with the contest - Rigs of Rods would have participated in this regardless if there was money involved or not. It brings recognition, more than anything, to the project, with the hopes that that will bring in more people who are interested and supportive of the project, such as developers and content creators.

Before you whine even more about the donators, why don't you take a look at the "privileges" that they can actually receive. They get access to a board, which you saw above, and no they can't delete posts at will... LOL... they can delete their own posts if they want to, and see where other posts have been deleted. They can't see what the deleted posts contained, just a message that a post has been deleted.

As to the part of your post directed specifically towards me, if you can do better, then why don't you do so? So far I see nothing from you but a bunch of complaining about the way that the project is run.

Here's my final word of advice to you:

Don't confuse the project itself (Rigs of Rods) with the community (these forums, wiki, etc).

No one forces you to participate in the community. You can create your own forum, repository, wiki, bugtracker, etc., and base it entirely on Rigs of Rods. If you aren't happy with the way things are done in this community, then look elsewhere or start your own.
    My Blog | My Creations | Help support Rigs of Rods
    Intel i7 970 6-core - 6GB DDR3 Muskin - 2x EVGA GTX460 FTW @ 850Mhz in SLI - Intel DX58SO - Corsair TX750W - Cooler Master HAF 912 - 3x Asus VH222H-P Monitors

Box5diesel
    Invited Member
    Blog Entries

I just want to add my 2 cents real quick. Tom actually comes out in the negative as far as money invested. It COSTS him money to keep this place going for all us to have.

heavyhauler22

I don't want to get involoved with this argument, so I won't say much. I'm also not trying to throw my 2 cents in either. But arguing is not the smart answer. I think there's a way to fix it. Plain and simple.

DFO: I repect you for saying what you did, and I think that you spoke for everyone else quite clearly. However I don't see him complaining, or whining. He IS entitled to his opinion. He might just be pointing out a fact, but I really don't know. But there's no reason for ANYONE to be throwing fire back and forth at each other.

Barrage: Its easy enough for anyone to post a problem with them game, which I'm sure in this case we are ALL well aware of. I'm not saying you're whining or complaining, but like DFO said if you think you can do a better job than do so. We all know this is a great game, that takes time. Just be patient, and it will pay off.

Like I said I don't want to get involved, and I'm not Dr. Phil but I think I can speak for a lot of people when I say that arguing shouldn't be done on this forum. In a PM maybe but this is a friendly community where everyone is entitled to their OPINION. That does not give them the right to post whatever they want. Now could a Mod please lock this topic or delete it or something, before anything else is said? Thanks guys

itokamikazemaster

box'5 is right he have invested much money on that.
    >Scania LongLine< Check the updates BRO

Patience is a virtude!

Darius

I'd guess that what everyone is trying to say to you is: whining won't work. If you want it done, offer some money to Tom and/or some help on the work.
    ლ/ಠ益ಠლ\

Lenni

Administrator

Before complaining about anything in RoR please try to make it better first or at least try to make anything constructive.

Sure, there haven't been updates for a long time now,
    but did you already make a patch that fixes one of the bugs without creating three new ones?

Be happy to get something like RoR at all,
    and even for free, if it's not good enough for you then help us making it better
    or at least don't steal our time to work on it by answering to such posts.

If you think RoR doesn't fit your quality requirements then do what you
    would do with any other game: take it back to the store you got it from
    and you'll get back just as much money as you paid for it.
    Think before you post!
    Truck_Description_File
    ^ what you need for modding