Thread: Blender vs Sketchup vs 3DS Max???

icalebkim

Post Blender vs Sketchup vs 3DS Max???

What do you think is better?

And what do those programs do?
    Make beams, or skeletons, or create the whole car?
    Sorry for the misunderstanding - could someone plz explain?

glennbtman

Post Re: Blender vs Sketchup vs 3DS Max???

I think Blender is the best, but Blender, Sketchup, and 3D Max are pretty much the same. You can make a basic or complicated mesh from (in blender) importing the RoR .truck file and start working on it but I do not know how the other 2 programs work.

gabester

grumpy moderator
    Blog Entries

Sketchup is completely useless for anything except models you want to look at in Sketchup
    MV4 - Bandit - G2 - MZ2 - Zeta - Omega - Accord - '49 Ford - Burnside - S10

Ovals - Small Track - Track Pack - Racemax - Winston Park

If you see anyone in MP or in IRC with my name - that's not me.

icalebkim

@glennbtman

Thx, but how can you say that when you have no experience with sketchup/3ds max???

glennbtman

Quote Originally Posted by icalebkim
    @glennbtman

Thx, but how can you say that when you have no experience with sketchup/3ds max???
    Because I can. I have used both the programs, I just don't really care for them, that's why I go with blender.

Beolex

Blog Entries

Well, having all three programs on my computer (four - including AC3D, another 3D Modeling tool used by this community), and using them to a certain extent, I will try to tell you.

Google SketchUp: I used it as a first 3D Modeling program. With it, was a nice measuring system, and other architectural features, like a tool bar for measuring stuff, measuring angles, and so forth. However, it did not really have any complex things like modifiers to modify a shape, and such and such. It also does not have renders, and is very hard to UV Map in. However, if you like to design machinery, like a forklift, or design buildings, like a house, it is a good program to get the job done. However, most of the users like to intersect stuff with each other to create more polygons, and do bad modeling habits. All in all, if you know what you are doing, it could get the job done, but with a few setbacks.

Blender 3D: Well, since I knew how to use Google SketchUp before Blender 3D, I absolutely hated Blender's user interface. I gave it multiple tries but gave up. However, I watched video tutorials that explain the user interface and the program itself, and I eventually got cracking. Once you are both familiar and comfortable with the user interface, you can start modeling cool stuff - fast! If you take the time to watch multiple video tutorial channels on YouTube, you could easily get familiar with the user interface, you could get really good with it. It's a lot to learn, but take it slow. I switched to Blender 3D for easy car modeling, UV Mapping, rendering, ambient occlusion, and plain old better modeling.

3D Studio Max: This program is costly, but many of the professionals use it. I made some basic stuff with 3DS Max within a couple of days, which therefore leads that it is really easy to learn. Especially animation, it is easy to animate in that program. I never took the time to compare and contrast Blender and 3DS Max, which are both really good programs, but they can both for example make a nice detailed car. Since 3DS Max costs a lot of money, it probably has more features and professional stuff in it, but I can't say anything about it.

AC3D: This is easy to learn, and you can actually make a lot of stuff without reading tutorials. Within a couple of days, I made a pickup truck with wheels and a bed. However, I never found the tools to model a complex car, or a detailed building, but I am sure it exists. This program can also make really high-detailed models, like Pedro's Mercedes O305 for instance. It costs $70, but if you are serious about 3D Modeling, it could be worth it. However, I am not too professional at it, so don't take my word for it.

Out of all three of these, I prefer Blender 3D because it's free. SketchUp was a great program to get me started with 3D Modeling, and I believe I made some great looking stuff with it, but it was my time to move on to start modeling some more complex stuff. Also, I do not want to deal with licensing/payments for 3DS Max/AC3D if I ever make a game company or ever get professional, so I stick with Blender. It's all in the preference, but there are some facts that separate each program from each other.
    Vasilis: sweet dreams skid

EJD

Well, if you put a lot of work into something, Sketchup can look pretty decent. But it is a lot of work. I've just given up on 3D modeling completely :P

But I maeded dis nevertheless.

Ladee

Quote Originally Posted by EJD
    Well, if you put a lot of work into something, Sketchup can look pretty decent. But it is a lot of work. I've just given up on 3D modeling completely :P

But I maeded dis nevertheless.
    A bonnet. There's a reason to use SketchUp :P

[/sarcasm]

EJD

Yes, thanks :

I was going to model the whole car, but... meh. I bit off more than I can chew. No doubt it can be done, just not by me. I'm just more dedicated to other things right now

AIN_002
    Invited Member
    Blog Entries

As already said, sketchup is nearly impossible to make nice and smooth models in. I use sketchup because it's easy and has very good tools for measuring, and also because I build cranes which don't have to be so smooth as a Ferrari for example. But from own experiences I know how much it sucks because it's impossible for a newbie to know how to reduce polygons. And not to mention the materials, shading etc sucks big time.
    Please DON'T ask me to help you with projects or do anything for you. I've taken a little pause and I don't actually make things for others either.

TheAdmiester

Blender has a physics engine.
    /thread

On the serious side, Blender is actually easier to use for me. I've never figured out how to make curves in Sketchup (for example a car's bodywork) whereas in Blender I managed to figure it out the same day I downloaded it. I haven't made anything 'advanced' like a car yet, but I'm getting the hang of it. I've done UV mapping, texturing and made ray-mirrors in Blender. Sketchup only lets you apply a single, flat, shadeless material to whatever blocky thing you manage to make in it.
    Not being German does not a good car make

Bonehead

Quote Originally Posted by TheAdmiester
    Blender has a physics engine.
    /thread
    And so does 3ds.

Quote Originally Posted by glennbtman
    I think Blender is the best, but Blender, Sketchup, and 3D Max are pretty much the same. You can make a basic or complicated mesh from (in blender) importing the RoR .truck file and start working on it but I do not know how the other 2 programs work.
    Perfect example of someone not knowing what they're talking about.

TheAdmiester

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead
    And so does 3ds.
    Never tried 3DS before (had the trial but that crashed on startup, closest thing I've used it GMax), although I was only comparing Blender and SU in my post.
    Not being German does not a good car make

dmtactical

Invited Member

It's not a crime to use sketchup, you can make some decent stuff with it. However if you are going to spend ANY time learning to use a program, spend it learning something other than sketchup. ONLY use sketchup if you are already very familiar with it, that's the only way it will give you any advantage. Blender is the best free software, it looks intimidating at first but just watch super3boy's tutorials on youtube, if you follow them you will pick up on the interface fast. You can also skip the animation and game making tutorials if you want since they don't apply to RoR, at least for the average user.

Remember, no matter which program you choose you are going to have to spend some time learning it, so spend it wisely and use a good program from the start.

I know there's people who have made some pretty nice cars in sketchup, so it is possible, but it's like trying to make a nice picture in MS Paint. Can it be done? Yes. But there are better tools for the job (like photoshop) that allow you to work faster and more efficiently. And when the work is more efficient, you can do more of it = better and more detailed models.
    To make cars you not use the google!ok?

icalebkim

Did I ever see it???
    I think I saw a 3DS Max tutorial for RoR.
    I want to know how far I can go - this is my first time I'm
    actually interested in 3D modelling of a car in RoR.

I'm fairly good at sketchup, but I think I'm growing out of
    it - my eyes are on 3DS Max, got it recently, and I'm still
    rather new to it...

Blender seems intimidating when I first saw it. And (my guess)
    is that, since it is free, the quality of the program is probably
    not as high as 3DS Max. (Just an assumption.)

But any tutorials for 3DS Max for RoR car making?

dmtactical

Invited Member

Yes, blender is a little intimidating, although once you start it's pretty easy. If you have 3DS Max already though then you might as well use that, it's probably the best you can get.

Here is a page about 3DS plugins for RoR http://wiki.rigsofrods.com/pages/3ds...orter/exporter

As for building vehicles, I recommend starting with the http://wiki.rigsofrods.com/pages/Editorizer , it is just a basic node and beam creator, if you mess with it it should give you a good idea of how RoR vehicles are built. I recommend building your first vehicle with the editorizor, since it's the simplest, and after that you can try using 3DS or blender plugins to make a vehicle.

This page contains a lot of info on the requirements to build a truck. If you're a decent reader and you understand high school physics, you should be able to skim through this and get the basics down. The hardest part of making things for RoR is just getting them imported and exported to the game, a lot of things can go wrong there. You can also ask questions in IRC chat by using the "chat" button at the top of the page. Since you're new hopefully we will be able to answer most questions you have. Good luck!
    To make cars you not use the google!ok?

icalebkim

OK. So lets say I create a car in Blender. Would anyone be able to change it to rigs and rods?

lilgti
    Invited Member
    Blog Entries

OK. So lets say I create a car in Blender. Would anyone be able to change it to rigs and rods?
    Yes, you would.
    Stance isn't a verb.

Mr.Plankton

I've made a few video tutorials that might help you. Watch the box scraper ones:
    www.youtube.com/puntjepunt

good luck!