by, 12-13-10 at 07:59 PM (2293 Views)
Hello world, been thinking about RoR lately, there is so much to do that sometimes I can't help but think the easiest thing would be to start over.
Since I've had some idead on my mind I'll write them down or else I will forgot about them:
- Beam structure and architecture:
- Currently a list of beams and nodes is stored with each vehicle, I wonder if it would make more sense to store ALL beams and nodes in some sort of central storage.
- One large continuous memory instead of in multiple places
- Threading: no artificial barriers on how many beams are processed by a thread, a single truck could be processed by multiple threads
- Object Orientation: Break up the physics into two type of classes, sources, and sinks. Sources are the physical objects that forces can be applied to, and sources and the physical phenomenon that generates forces. In the current sim, nodes would be the only kind of sink. But the sources would be just about anything else, beams, engine, wings, buoyancy, slidenodes, etc. possibly even collisions
- Move the physics to the server to allow proper calculations for collisions. if each client is doing local collision calc then there is probably too much time between updates. This means a truck would move too far and generate too large of a force. Only problem is this dramatically increases the load on the server, and might not make it feasible.
Ok I've run out of steam, but those are my thoughts for now.
Total Trackbacks 0