It's been a few months since I worked on RoR, but seeing Tdev's latest updates has inspired me to continue with my crawler project.
All exterior meshes are now finished, although not textured or mapped. Cabin area still needs to be modelled, and textures need to be created.
Current stats (including 4x wheels and tyres) - polys: 42,124 / tris: 45,887
I intend to take my time to ensure I finish this project, even if that means taking the occasional break.
Not much progress visually - spent some time UV mapping the body panels (tedious but necessary if I'm to add ambient occlusion later). I'm hoping to get all textures onto a single 2048 x 2048px texture without losing much quality. It's going well so far, as the shot of the rear shows:
New light texture and new Red Bull logo look nice and sharp compared the the low-res artwork down the side (from the old 1nsane skin).
Once all the panels are UV mapped I can start on creating the
This is a nice handy way of documenting my thoughts and ideas about my RoR projects.
After the recent flurry of talk in the forum about understeer and steering geometry, I decided to change my Tatum Buggy steering to feature the Ackerman angle. 3 nodes later, and the buggy feels much better. Steering feels more stable and understeer has been reduced considerably. Thanks Lifter, for the suggestion.
I've just spent 15mins looking for info about Caelum scripts (for my La Paz map) but I can't find anything that helps
I've been re-working the roads on La Paz to make them tighter and twistier. It's hard trying to visualise how a road will look on a 4km x 4km map, when you're drawing it in by hand in Photoshop with a 7px wide brush. It's getting better though, now the tracks are more challenging.
Things to do :- Alter the steering on my Firebug crawler to add ackerman angle, work on new buildings for La Paz, finish off suspension meshes for '37 Ford Rat Rod, add more trail runs to Riverbed... so much to do and so little time.
Updated 09-20-10 at 03:20 PM by Fat-Alfie