Hey guys, just finished a new terrain development pipeline. It uses the new shader I brought to RoR that supports Bump Mapping and Alpha Splatting (tutorial here). It works like this:
1: Terrain procedurally generated in World Machine, along with up to 9 different alpha-splat layers, vegetation layers and a ground model.
2: Terrain exported with the use of automated scripts to EarthSculptor, where manual modifications are performed.
3: Using automated scripts (again ) all files are exported into the right format for RoR and put into a zip.
4: Terrain is given a name and we are set to go!
Here are some preliminary results from my profile (EDIT: You have to log in to see the pictures):
Desert terrain with the use of 8 different custom textures:
Sand Dunes terrain that I made after going on an ATV trip:
This one was made to test snow:
A very mountainous rock-crawling map:
Oh, and I forgot to mention I also use custom Caelum scripts for the rain:
It's also pretty low impact (I get around 40 FPS on a normal terrain):
And the best part is, with all the automated scripts and everything, all it takes for me to pump out one of these terrain is...... 30 minutes, everything included. Oh, and it'll be just as compatible with the new Cryengine stuff when that comes out too. Maybe next weekend I'll just devote a whole day to making terrains, and just take requests in real-time
Updated 07-04-12 at 07:53 PM by Nipash
Currently enjoying Winter Break1 and having recently completed my entry into the Local Motor's RIG2 competition2 I felt this would be an ideal opportunity to revisit some of my older mods that had been pushed aside while I've been busy.
My first priority is to try and finish the Kenworth T908. I've completed nearly all of the mesh and texture work but my key aim now is to build a realistic, deforming N/B from the ground up. Having little experience with N/B building and having the intelligence of a potato in general, this will be a rather substantial learning curve for me. So far I've completed the main chassis of the truck. It needs a little more tweaking but I'm happy with it at the moment.
Don't expect this to be completed too soon but I WILL finish it.
1 That's right, not everyone lives in the U.S.
started today. Gonna keep at it. Maybe finish it. Plan is to be highly moddable (sp?) by just different parts included in the pack.
A few pictures of a new project.
if it weren't for you pesky kids!
It's been a few months since I worked on RoR, but seeing Tdev's latest updates has inspired me to continue with my crawler project.
All exterior meshes are now finished, although not textured or mapped. Cabin area still needs to be modelled, and textures need to be created.
Current stats (including 4x wheels and tyres) - polys: 42,124 / tris: 45,887
I intend to take my time to ensure I finish this project, even if that means taking the occasional break.
As some of you might have noticed I've been busy modeling a Jeep Comanche.
So far I have only showed you pictures of the crawler version and I've been asked so many times for a stock version, of which I already had in mind.
Along with the stock and crawler versions I have also thought about a simple lifted version with bigger tyres and maybe another set of bumpers.
Or another crawler with a roll cage, but not as advanced as the crawler I made in the first place.
When I finish the stock version, I can easily modify it into quite a lineup of different versions which I've been thinking about making.
Other then exterior and suspension I've also showed you 2 engines, a small block chevrolet 350 inspired one:
And, the engine that came with the Jeep Comanche, an AMC 4.0 inline 6 cylinder engine:
Then I decided to turbocharge the AMC 4.0, for that extra bit of power:
That already makes different 3 engines so far! either way, a cummins is still on the to-do list .
But not only did I want to make it look good, I want it to handle, and crash good, that's why I've spent several days making and tuning the current node/beam chassis.
And it has paid off! this is my best crashing car so far:
It looks a bit ugly ingame, since I quickly slapped the chassis and bodypanels on with the standard chrome material.
And that's pretty much what I'm planning to do with W.I.P. Comanche model, but enough rambling about my plans, here are some pictures of the stock version as it is right now.
I still got to redo the fenders, wheels, the stock bumpers and some other things, no worries
beside the big work packages for 0.39 we are improving the tiny bits as well. We added:
ability to hide vehicles in the menu truck chooser via TDF keywordnew node option: 'm' = node cannot be grabbed with the mouseworking on camera rails: http://modclub.rigsofrods.com/thomas/cameraRail.flv
basic idea: ability to move around the 3rd person camera for large objects